• STRIPED BASS: fishing is good to excellent for “schoolies” in most of the tidal rivers along the Connecticut shoreline. There are also some keepers in the mix as well (47 inch striped bass from the lower CT and Housatonic Rivers). Striper spots include the Pawcatuck River, Mystic River, Thames River, Niantic River, lower Connecticut River (DEEP Marine Headquarters fishing pier and Dock and Dine), Black Hall River, New Haven Harbor (Sandy Point), the Sound School Fishing Pier, Housatonic River and Norwalk Harbor including the islands. Sand and blood worms have been working the best, especially in turbid waters around the high tide.
Casting swimming lures, small jigs (Chartreuse color) with twister tails, soft baits, and Kastmasters and other metal lures will also work. Fishing should get better as we approach the magical 55°F mark! The top-water fishing has been fantastic...go out enjoy some of the best fishing in New England.
• WINTER FLOUNDER: fishing remains slow but improving in the Poquonock River at Bluff Point State Park, Niantic River, The Brothers, Jordan Cove, lower Saugatuck River, Calf Pasture Beach area, Norwalk Islands (Cockonoe) and the channels in Norwalk Harbor. Other flounder spots include the lower Mystic River, and the mouth of the Thames River in the Pine Island area including Baker Cove.
• WHITE PERCH: fishing is good to excellent for these tasty panfish in most of the tidal rivers and coves along the Connecticut shoreline. Perch spots include the Pawcatuck River, Mystic River, Thames River, upper Niantic River, lower Connecticut River (DEEP Marine Headquarters fishing pier), Black Hall River, Lieutenant River, North/South Cove and Hamburg Cove. Shrimp and small worms are the key to success.
• SCUP/PORGY OPENS MAY 1 – SUMMER FLOUNDER/FLUKE MAY 4: : Looks to be a fantastic opener.
• WEAKFISH: have also arrived in Long Island Sound! The Race, Plum Gut and the north side of Long Island including Gardiners Bay and the Peconics are early weakfish spots. Look for weakfish in Guilford/New Haven Harbor over to the Milford/Stratford area.
The full DEEP report will eventually be posted here: CTDEEP
© 2018 Shoo-Fly Charters, LLC