14 July 2014

• Connecticut, Long Island Sound, Housatonic River Saltwater Fishing Report: 14 July 2014

I’ve had a couple of inquiries from readers wanting to know how come there haven’t been any fishing reports from ConnecticutSaltwaterFishing.com...all posted reports coming from other sources. Well, the boat’s been in dry dock for three weeks waiting for Yamaha parts that must have come all the way from Hamamatsu, Shizuoka prefecture…perhaps by way of Budapest and Johannesburgh.

At any rate, the parts finally arrived, motor’s fixed, and Charlie W. and I hit the water on Monday morning for a shake-down run.

Arriving at the dock, I spotted this black-crowned night heron perched on the top of one of the marina pilings. This was a surprise and these birds are more typically seen out on the breakwaters away from the comings and goings of man.

Ooops! We've just been informed by Gerry S. that this is not a black-crowned night heron, but rather a yellow-crowned night heron. [Guess if politicians can "mis-speak" and still be elected...our readers may eventually forgive us for this appalling "mis-identification"?]

The bird let me take a couple of photos from about 15 feet away…until I switched on the camera’s flash which he did not feature at all.

He departed to find a place less violative of his privacy rights.

The weather forecast was perched over our shoulders like a vulture eyeing a dead skunk: 10-15 kt. winds increasing to 20 kts.; possible thunderstorms this morning; probable thunderstorms this afternoon.

Nevertheless, at the dock we eye-balled the skies and said, "what the heck, let's give it a try...we'll just keep an eye out."

And it was good we decided to go...mostly.

First place we tried resulted in one tailor bluefish which went into the livewell in hopes that others would join.

Next spot, however, we were instantly into striped bass... schoolies.

Ended up catching 28 of them...no keepers, but some nice fish...strong fighters.

Here's the best fish of the trip...or maybe the second-best. One we caught later might have had an inch or two on this one.

Interesting that most of my stripers were caught "on the drop."

I noticed that each time I stopped retrieving the jig-plastic lure to fiddle with the trolling motor remote, a fish would hit. Finally it dawned on me that they were hitting the lure on the drop...as the lure fell through the water column when I stopped the retrieve. So I started taking two turns on the reel and then pausing...one...two...and a striped bass would hit the lure on "two." Not every cast, of course, but often enough to make me feel I'd learned something new [surely some readers are out there saying, "What? He didn't know about that?"]

Never too old to learn, I guess.

Here Charlie releases a schoolie back to the water, unharmed.

Charlie had this nice bluefish on just as the rain we knew was about to hit us...hit us.

Only a sprinkle at first, so we decided to try a few more casts as we had standing orders for bluefish filets from friends and relatives.


I said to Charlie later, as we were ringing out our stuff back at the dock: "We were smart enough to know we should leave, but not smart enough actually to do it."

Rain did not dampen spirit, however, and it turned out to be another great day on the water.

Source: ConnecticutSaltwaterFishing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment