16 July 2010

Connecticut-Area Fishing Reports

Note: This report is from July 2010; for the latest information, please go to:

• Charles Walsh’s Fishing Report

Striped bass -- Slow would be the correct word for striper fishing…. Bluefish -- The chopper scene continues to be spotty.
Greenwich Time

• CTDEP Fishing Report

“Striped bass and bluefish fishing is fair to good. Dusk through dawn is the time to go, especially for that big cow striper. Live lining menhaden (bunker), eels, scup or hickory shad on three way rigs is the way to go. Also, the tube and worm combination and buck tail jigs baited with a pork rind or a squid strip bounced on the bottom will work. Fishing spots include the Watch Hill area, Ram Island Reef (Fishers Island Sound), lower Thames River, the Race (by Race Rock and Valiant Rock), outer Bartlett Reef, the Sluiceway, Plum Gut, Pigeon Rip, warm water discharge from Millstone Power Station, the “humps” south of Hatchett Reef, Long Sand Shoal, Cornfield Point, Southwest Reef, Sixmile Reef, Falkner Island area, reefs off Guilford and Branford, New Haven Harbor, buoys #18 and #20 off Bridgeport, Stratford Shoal/Middle Ground, Penfield Reef, Norwalk Islands, Cable and Anchor Reef, Smith Reef and the reefs off Stamford and Greenwich. Snapper blue fishing is improving in the tidal creeks.”
Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection [14 JUL]

• Lon Gisland Fishing Report

“Large bluefish have taken over in the western Sound with choppers to 19 pounds being caught. Again it's been large bunker schools that have the blues on the feed and chasing the bunker in Eastchester Bay, Hempstead Harbor, Little Neck Bay and Steppingstone Light.”
New York Post

• Rhode Island Fishing Report

“While big-bass hunters are going to Block Island, there are still plenty of 20-pound fish on the reefs off South County and Long Island....”
Providence Journal

Don’t forget, a 2010 saltwater fishing license is required to fish the marine waters of Connecticut. Also, if you intend to fish above the Merritt Parkway bridge on the Housatonic River, you also need a Connecticut freshwater license. You can purchase these from your local bait & tackle shop, such as Newtown Bait & Tackle, or at Town/City Hall.

Check these links for more information:
Connecticut Tourism;
Long Island Sound Resource Center;
Housatonic Valley Association;
Stratford, Connecticut;
Milford, Connecticut

No comments:

Post a Comment